It seems to me that the following are the most important questions or perspectives that one would need to consider when interpreting Mark. I invite you to take a look at this list and to respond by telling me which approaches I have omitted, and why any approaches to Mark that aren’t on this list are important.
So, here’s my list:
1. The question of the historical Jesus, and the quest to find the earliest sources for the life of Jesus (Life of Jesus research, source criticism).
2. The Synoptic Problem and its majority solution, Marcan priority (source criticism).
3. The oral tradition of the life and teachings of Jesus, and how Mark utilizes it (form criticism).
4. The Greek text of Mark and its history of transmission (textual criticism).
5. The emergence of the Κατὰ Μάρκον Ἐυαγγέλιον (Gospel According to Mark) in early church history.
6. Mark in comparison with patterns from the Hebrew Bible.
7. Mark in comparison with the larger tradition of teacher/disciple narratives (socio-rhetorical criticism).
8. How Mark does characterization (literary criticism).
9. The theology of the Gospel of Mark.